When the time has come to put your Charlotte NC HUD home up for sale, your first thought is probably how much the property is worth in the current market. The next question is probably how to increase the home value.
If you're thinking of ways to boost your home's worth but concerned about your limited resources, then accomplishing DIY improvements is the way to go. However, not all home remodeling projects are created equal. Some projects can actually make it more challenging to sell the house.
To ensure you are investing money into the right updates, you need to consult with your trusted local real estate agent to find out the best updates and renovations for your property. You need to make sure that you are adding equity to your home and increasing its appeal.
Before you start knocking down walls or painting the walls, here are three things you need to remember.
- Prioritize home maintenance. Before you consider any cosmetic change, you must first take care of any home maintenance issues. If you've been living in that Charlotte house for years, there will be things to fix and clean. Ignoring issues like the leaking roof, drywall cracks, or sticking windows or doors may cause problems later on, and may even be the cause for the buyer's withdrawal.
- Focus on affordable and minor renovations. Focus on projects with small to mid-range price points because costly major home renovations rarely pay off. Choose affordable and easy renovation projects since they pay off better than costly, upscale ones.
- Renovate based on what buyers want. Remember that you are renovating the home for resale, so make it appealing to the buyers. Your likes and preferences may not be what the buyers want.
DIY Home Projects That Increase Your Home's Worth
Today, we're going to tell you which of the most common DIY projects are worth the investment and which ones you're better off doing without. The answers may surprise you.
The kitchen is the heart of the home. You want the kitchen to not just be functional but also warm and welcoming, a feature that many buyers look for. Updating the kitchen will make it look brighter, modern, and spacious.
1. Refinish the cabinets. A little paint goes a long way. One of the easiest ways to update the kitchen cabinet is by refinishing them.
Getting your cabinets refinished professionally will set you back around $1000. If you love DIY and have the time for it, you can just buy the supplies which will cost you around $200 - $300. If your cabinets look scratched, sand them, prime and paint them, and you’ll have great looking cabinets in no time.
2. Change the hardware. Replace all the knobs and handles of your cabinets. Consider the hardware as your kitchen’s accessories. You want to update them to make buyers like how your kitchen looks.
3. Get new lighting fixtures. Your kitchen’s light sets the mood. Light fixtures dim over time, so if you haven’t replaced the light in the kitchen, it’s not as bright as it was before. Getting new lighting fixtures will not only brighten the kitchen space, it will also help enhance the room’s appeal.
4. Install new outlet and light switch plates. Another DIY project you can do is to install new outlets and light switch plates. This small change gives the kitchen a more modern feel as well as improves safety.
5. Consider tiling the backsplash. Though not necessary, the backsplash saves your wall from the grease, oil, and splatter cooking produces. It also adds beauty to the kitchen. This is a relatively affordable project, and if you’re handy enough, you can do it yourself.
Backsplash, in general, can be pricey, but shop around and you’ll find less expensive ones that will add color and creativity to your kitchen.
6. Swap your countertop. Granite and quartz countertops are in right now, but if you don’t have the budget for that, you have other options like laminate or ceramic countertops. Not only are these materials cheaper, they are also easy to install, easy to clean, heat and scratch resistant and durable.
7. Get a new kitchen sink. If you have not replaced the kitchen since you bought the house, give your kitchen some love and update the sink. A new sink can make a kitchen look modern and well-maintained.
The second most popular room in the house is the bathroom. If a spa-like renovation isn’t in the budget, don’t worry! There are plenty of ways to update your bathroom without spending thousands of dollars on repairs.
8. Update fixtures. Swapping out old sink faucets, towel racks, and drawer pullers can make a huge difference in the bathroom’s overall appearance.
9. Redo caulk and grout. Old grout can be quite unsightly, but it’s easy to fix! Simply scrub the grout clean and add fresh lines of caulk around the tub and sink. It might take a little elbow grease, but it’s inexpensive and can make your bathroom look cleaner and newer.
10. Update your bathroom tiles. Installing new tiles is an affordable home improvement that will give your bathroom a modern look. Stick to classic colors that will appeal to everyone, instead of using colors you like.
11. Change the showerhead. One of the easiest bathroom projects you can do is to upgrade the showerhead. You’ll find a wide range of showerhead options online and offline, and many of them are at a reasonably affordable price.
12. Install a new mirror. Replacing your bathroom mirror can change the look and feel of your bathroom. If you haven’t replaced your bathroom mirror since you moved in, now is a good time to do it. It will give you a few more weeks to enjoy the new mirror before the new owner moves in.
13. Add storage spaces. Bathrooms need storage spaces for towels, robes, bathroom essentials, etc. The bigger the storage space is, the better. You have to be creative because you cannot add square footage to your bathroom.
You can install an over-the-door shelf, place baskets (for towel storage) below the vanity, or add several bracketed shelves.
Living room improvements
You can give your living room a new look without hiring a professional interior designer. The following are some easy home improvement projects you can do, and each of these projects can be done in 30 minutes or less!
14. A fresh coat of paint. Painting your walls with a new inspiring color will breathe new life to your living space. It's also a simple and budget-friendly update that can transform the look and feel of the living area.
15. Rearrange your living room layout. Moving your furniture around can give your room a new look and fulfill your need for change without spending anything
16. Switch out the cushions. Placing pillows and sofa blankets add color and texture to the room. They also create a cozy feeling, making the living room look more inviting. These accessories also give the room a relaxed and laid back feel.
17. Mount floating shelves. Installing floating shelves are both beautiful and functional, making it the perfect display space without making the room feel cluttered. These shelves require less space because they are on the wall and not on the floor. Floating shelves are easy to install, and since they are held up by wall brackets, they are strong and durable.
18. Invest in a new rug. Rugs add color and design to your living room. It also ties the look of the room together. If you’re looking for a way to update your living room, changing your rugs can help you achieve that goal.
Other Simple Fixes that Add Value to Your Home
Large home improvement projects aren’t the only way to add value to your property! There are a host of other small upgrades that can freshen up the rest of your home and increase its value to home buyers.
19. Add storage space in the laundry and garage. One of the must-have items in many buyer’s lists is storage space either in the laundry room or garage. This is because if the storage space in the bedroom is minimal, a lot of clothes and other belongings get stored in either the laundry room or garage area. Having extra cabinets keep things neat and organized.
20. Paint, paint, paint. Gather your friends and spend the weekend painting! Opt for high-quality paint with a satin finish. Don’t forget plenty of painter’s tape to protect molding, fixtures, or light switches, as well as sheets to cover flooring.
Opt for neutral colors like slate gray and ivory, or popular colors like aqua and cool green. However, when it comes to selling a home, neutral colors are best.
21. Enhance your home’s curb appeal. Never discount the effect of curb appeal to home buyers.
You have probably heard this a million times, but a beautiful lawn, well-placed shrubs, and a swept walkway give a great impression. The first impression is important when you want to attract buyers to your home for sale in Charlotte NC.
Cleaning and sprucing up your lawn is not expensive. Adding a window box with colorful flowers enhances the appeal and catches a buyer’s attention.
These DIY home improvements will not cost you much and they add value to your home’s worth. Remember, your home value is what the buyer thinks your home is worth. Clean, repair, upgrade, and stage for results that add value to your home.
Ready to sell your home? Call me, Nancy Braun, at 704-997-3794. I have the best team in Charlotte. We are ready to help you sell your home at its best price.