A fence is one of the home’s features that can be customized according to the homeowner’s preference. So before you start putting or replacing your existing fence, there a few things you need to know to help you determine the right fence for your lovely home. Here’s a homeowner’s guide to choosing a fence.
Purpose. There are three common reasons why you would like to put up a fence and these are the following:
- Privacy is an important part of a person’s lifestyle and comfort. If this is the reason why you’re putting up or changing your fence, you need to choose styles of fences that will screen or break the line of sight onto your home.
- Safety and security. This is a common purpose for families with children and pets who want to achieve peace of mind when inside their home. A common style of fence chosen to serve such purpose is a high fence with limited horizontal rails.
- Enhance the property’s values and appearance. If this is your main goal , a well-designed and constructed fence is an option you should choose when putting up a fence.
Materials. There are three basic materials utilized in building a fence regardless of your preference. These are wood, metal and PVC vinyl.
- Wood fences. A common preference of homeowners who want to achieve a more natural look, wood fences are a great choice because it’s beautiful, affordable, easy and quick to install.
- Metal fences. There are two types of metal fences: chain linking and ornamental aluminum fencing. The latter is commonly utilized for commercial properties but can also be utilized for homeowners who want to enhance their home’s safety and security. It’s an excellent choice before of its affordability, easy maintenance, pet control and resistance to graffiti. The ornamental aluminum fencing, on the other hand, is also an affordable option, which also provides the homeowner a unique and sophisticated look without the high maintenance costs.
- PVC or Vinyl fences. This is one of the fastest and most popular choices for fencing material today. The advantages of such material are as follows: virtually maintenance free, doesn’t need paint because its ultraviolet-protected, does not rot or rust, and is strong and flexible.
Budget. This is one of the major factors taken into consideration by homeowners when choosing a fence. Based on the options above, the chain link comes out the cheapest. Aside from the materials, you’ll also be spending for the maintenance and installation costs.
Choosing a fence is basically a combination of these three factors. Remember that a fence doesn’t only serve various purposes; it can also increases a home’s value and transforms completely your yard.